Sunday, March 26, 2017

Homemade pretty-in-pink Himalayan salt, oil-free, potato chips on a bamboo skewer




I had a hunch after I made that no oil salad dressing that it might work well as a chip dip. I recently watched a bunch of youtube videos about homemade chips baked in the oven or microwaved on a bamboo skewer. The skewer in the microwave idea piqued my curiosity and I’ve had “pick up wooden skewers” on my grocery list for weeks now although still haven’t bought any. So I remembered that I have some hefty wooden toothpicks. Maybe they'll work? I could just use mini prep bowls to keep the potato slices suspended as they bake. And here’s what happened …


First, I lopped off the top of the potato (or chitted the potato, in gardening terms because I’m sending the baby potato chit into a paper bag for a while and then tossing it in some soil to see if it will root like a normal chit would).



Then, I pulled out my mandoline. These things can get pricey but I got mine for less than $10. I've had it for more than a few years and it does the trick. I started without the hand guard but since it slices so effortlessly, so quickly  I soon switched over to the guard because I really appreciate having all my fingers. The mandoline makes super thin slices, so thin they’re translucent. I could never do that with a knife, especially if I want to keep my fingers, and as you now know, I do.



I gave the potato slices a good rinse in cold water to tease out excess starch then strained and rinsed them before returning them to the bowl again for a another nice bath. I thought they would only be in the second bath for about 15-minutes but the idea that I could use toothpicks, even though they are the extra long and thick didn't pan out. They were too short.


But before I dashed out the door to pick up proper bamboo skewers, I added about a ½ tablespoon of table salt to the bath water.


Why?


Because osmosis. That's why.


Remember high school biology when your teacher introduced you to the idea of cell membranes and ions and stuff like that? Turns out, that’s what’s going on here when you add salt to the water with potatoes, basically we’re taking the water out of the potato while it is bathing in the water. Okay, work with me on this because it might work to our advantage later when the potato doesn’t have as much water in it when we cook it. Or at least it should.


Oh my. Arts and science on one blog. How do you like me now?


Onward.


Homemade potato chips are at stake here.


So the potatoes got to have a longer bath, turned out, about two hours. They were very relaxed when I returned from the store with bamboo skewers in hand (as well as French’s Dijon mustard for more oil-free salad dressings).


Next, I strained the water and rinsed again. Since I’m not baking or frying the chips, I didn’t squeeze out the water on a paper or cloth towel. Just let them sit there for a few minutes so that they could drip most of the water off and gave ‘em a little toss and a squeeze.



Then I skewered them and set them on glass, microwave safe bowls to suspend the potato slices in the air as they dry but not before grinding some pretty-in-pink Himalayan salt over them.



So pretty.


I love pink.


Then I popped the first dish into the microwave for three minutes before checking on them. They still weren’t ready at the three minute mark so I gave them another three minute round.


They came out pretty much perfect. Allowing them to sit for a minute or so helped them become crispy, delectable, non-greasy potato chips. The second batch I gave seven minutes in the microwave. Six or seven minutes seems to work equally well.

And I had a really nice, oil-free snack, which tasted great dipped in the oil-free salad dressing and I also popped open the mustard to try that as a topping, very nice.

This is a totally awesome way to eat a potato.


Good thing I live close to Prince Edward Island since this is going to be my new go-to crispy snack.


Ingredients:
1 potato (I left the skin on but you can peel it first if you prefer)
1 tablespoon of table salt
A grinder with Himalayan salt crystals (to taste)
Something nice to dip the potato chips in (optional)

Method:
Make thin potato slices. Bathe them in cold water, strain and rinse. Bathe them in cold water again, this time with salt added to the water for about 15-minutes. Drain and rinse and try to get them as dry as you can. Skewer the potatoes and place on a microwave safe bowl to suspend the chips in the air while they bake. Sprinkle salt over the potato slices and bake in the microwave for six to seven minutes (microwave ovens vary, so test this a bit).

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment