Navigation

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Figurative sketch with negative space that is positively pink



In this sketch, I was trying to get a sense of depth between the two figures by contrasting their size relative to the proximity of the viewer (that's you).

Negative space is the area between two (or more) objects. In this sketch, it is the pink area. Anytime I think of "negative space" I think of Leya Evelyn, I remember taking a figure drawing course with her in the late 90s, she discussed how "negative space" isn't really "negative" at all, she felt it was really a "postitive" in its own right.

In this sketch it is relatively flat and just holds the two figures in place. I remember sketching this from two un-related photographs I had on hand at the time. It is fun to create a new, third scene, from two scenes that have nothing to do with each other.

In any event, this "negative space" is "positively pink."

No comments:

Post a Comment