Navigation

Monday, September 13, 2010

Bella (RIP 1991 - 2010)

[caption id="attachment_2693" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption="Bella 1991 - 2010"]Bella 1991 - 2010[/caption]

This is a pastel portrait of Bella, my mother's Jack Russell terrier. It was a birthday present I painted for my mother in 2004. Bella was a fabulous little dog, after my mother passed on, Bella became my little dog.

Bella turned 19 this year.

She was one of the gentlest dogs I've ever met. She loved people. Loved toast too. To feed her by hand was to watch a dog be so careful that she didn't accidentally bite. Very sweet.

Over the last year or so, her hind end started to betray her and finally, tonight I had to take her to see Dr. McInnis at the Halifax Veterinary Hospital where Bella was gently eased into the next world.

I liked to call her the Boogie Woogie Bougah Dog (to the tune of Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy) because it fit her enthusiastic personality. She was a "Bougah Dog."

Bella was born on Applewood Farm in Cambridge, her mother, Button, was part of the Atlantic Super Dogs at one time (so I have been told). There were horses and hounds on the farm too. I guess the mixture came in handy because they held fox-less fox hunts in the area. I did a radio documentary on this apple-growing-fox-hunting farm called "Scent of a Fox" that aired on CBC Radio in 1996.

I think Bella was a working dog at heart. She was a fantastic mouser, the first time I ever saw a bonafide wild mouse was when Bella caught one. Bella was fast, less than 3-seconds from catch to kill. Even within the last month, she was still ferreting out mice.

And I loved watching her nose twitch as she sniffed the air, like she was reading a story in the breeze.

She had a lot of bounce (at least until the last year or so). I would slap the front of my legs and she'd jump straight up and be in my arms in a flash.

I feel lucky to have had her. She was one of the great Enthusiasms.

Rest in peace, little Bougah dog. You will be missed.

3 comments:

  1. So sorry for you loss. A great tribute to an obviously great dog. Rip Bella

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm imagining your sadness and feeling of loss right now, Mary Ann. Though it may have been Bella's time, I doubt (like all of us animal lovers) you feel like it was your time to let go. Bella was doubly blessed - to be loved and nurtured by your mother, and then by you. I am sending soothing and caring thoughts your way today, my friend.

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Andrew and Pamela for your kind words. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete